Eye and Vision Care

Turn in Both Eyes

12/09/2010

Question:

I have a turn in both eyes and I use only one eye at a time. My doctor told me it must be there since birth because I have no double vision. Now the turn has gotten worse and the switching between both eyes is not so automatic. I can see the switch between both eye now and I couldn`t before. I don`t know what treatments are out there for adults with turn in both eye since birth. I was just thinking would Botox but in the stronger muscle of that eye help straighten the eye? I don`t want to have surgery if I can prevent it at all. If I find a treatment that would fix the turn would that cause problems for me seeing since I never did use both eyes together?

Answer:

Prior to any decisions regarding botox, surgery, or vision therapy, I would suggest being seen by an eye doctor who is comfortable seeing binocular vision disorders (or eye problems related to using both eyes at the same time). If I were examining you, there would be a variety of tests that I would need to know in order to give you a proper diagnosis and the most appropriate treatment.

It is simply too difficult to give you the appropriate recommendations without knowing the examination data.

We do have a binocular vision clinic here at The Ohio State University College of Optometry (614-292-1113) if you are interested in scheduling an appointment.

I hope this helps.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Aaron  Zimmerman, OD, MS Aaron Zimmerman, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry