NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
Healthy Weight Center
To Gain Weight and to Become Fat
I want to gain weight and to become fat. This is almost since my childhood. i take proper food. Eventhough, I don`t fall sick every time I am not able to gain and become fat. I read that taking worm controll medicine might cure a bit. plssss heip!
Thanks for your question. I have to say, it is quite unusual for someone to want to become "fat". Obesity is a huge public health problem worldwide, so perhaps just achieving a healthy weight would be a better goal?
Gaining weight is simple: eat more calories than you burn up and your weight should increase over time. I do not know of any "worm control" medicine, so I cannot comment or recommend such things for weight gain.
Just as weight loss does not happen overnight, weight gain does not occur overnight either. You must be consistent with a higher calorie diet and be patient.
In order to gain weight in a healthy way, follow the tips below:
1. Drink 100% fruit juice in place of water. Two (8 oz cups) may increase your calories by 300/day.
2. Snack on nuts, seeds and dried fruit. These are higher in calories than other snacks, but also pack good nutrition (protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber).
3. Drink an extra glass of milk/day. Aim for 3-4 (8 oz) cups daily.
4. Sprinkle shredded cheese on pasta, chili, soup or other dishes to boost calories and protein.
5. Consider some resistance training exercises to build muscle and not just fat.
Best of luck in your goal for weight gain!
Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, MEd, RD, LD
University of Cincinnati