Eye and Vision Care

Black Spot in My Vision

12/12/2010

Question:

hi iv been having some problems with my left eye and im really wanting to figure out what it is? Whenever im working out or running and im breathing hard il see this big black round spot or shadow in the upper part of my vision in my left eye but it usually goes away after i get done working out.. i dont have headachs very often at al so i dont think there`s n e thing wrong with my brain, but i do feel like it has something to do with my circulation or oxygen cause it normally only appears when im working out real hard.. if there`s n e way you could help me figure out what this is it would b greatly appreciated.. thanks so much

Answer:

You should see your eye doctor for a definitive diagnosis and possible treatment.

This sounds like either (1) a vitreous floater or (2) a transient ischemic attack. After a comprehensive eye examination, which includes pupil dilation and peripheral visual field testing, your eye doctor will be able to tell you whether or not this is something to be concerned about.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry