Lung diseases

Lung Density????

12/10/2010

Question:

Hi

Really concerned! I had an x ray done and it stated that I have upper apex density.The x ray department recommended a CT scan but my doctor said leave this for a couple of weeks because I had a bad chest infection 4 weeks previously. She wanted to see if the density has gone. Can density go away?? what is density??should I be worrying and if I have something bad going on with my lungs would it show something different??please advise anyone

Answer:

A "density" simply means a white area on the film and could be literally anything - artifact, mucous, pneumonia or even cancer. Your doctor is absolutely correct....in view of the recent respiratory illness, waiting a couple of weeks and repeating the film may save you a lot of radiation as well as money. If the "density" persists, a CT scan may be appropriate. 

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Jeff E Weiland, MD Jeff E Weiland, MD
Associate Professor - Clinical
OSU Asthma Center