Eye and Vision Care

I Have a Spider-Like Annoying Spot on My Eye.

12/14/2010

Question:

I am 60. I have mostly controlled diabetes I have controlled high blood pressure. I just had an exam by a optometrist and he did not say anything re diabetic-related eye problems. He said that I needed reading glasses, which I already use. Believe it or not, there is only one Opthamologist where I live on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska. It takes approximately six months to get an appointment and that is why I use the optometrist. I use my iPhone, iPad, computers, Kindle,etc., everyday. Lots of strain on my eyes. My eyes have really started to bug me lately, I.e., must use higher number on my reading glasses, a spider-like, light colored, spread out spot which bugs me. A blur that comes from a facial cream that somewhat causes the blur, I try to wipe it out, or just not get it in my eyes. duhhhhhh!! It does not happen all of the time. Due to the lack of care where I live worries me. Sorry, one more thing, when I finally got in to see the Opthamologist several years ago said that I was in the beginning stages of macro degeneration. He did not seem to be worried, nor did the optometrist. Question: Am I in trouble here? Thank you for your opinion. 

Answer:

The vision changes that you are noticing may or may not be serious. There are a variety of eye conditions that could cause these changes, including conditions related to diabetes, high blood pressure, and macular degeneration. Some of these eye conditions include posterior vitreous detachment, macular edema, and neovascularization.

Therefore, it is important that you contact your optometrist’s office and ask for a follow-up appointment with dilated eye examination within one week. It is possible that you may need treatment and that the optometrist could help you get an appointment with the ophthalmologist for that. 

When you call, be sure to mention how your vision has changed, when the changes occurred, and that you have diabetes, high blood pressure, and macular degeneration. 

Also, you mention that you are having a lot of eyestrain. It would, of course, be good if the optometrist can make suggestions to reduce this. I do, however, want to let you know that such eyestrain does not harm your eyes. So, whatever might be going on, you have not caused it by using your eyes a lot.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Roanne   Flom, OD Roanne Flom, OD
Professor of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry