Eye and Vision Care

Flash of Light and Black Bubbles

12/12/2010

Question:

My wife is suffering from CNS TUBERCULOMA. ATT treatment is continue from last 4 months. MRI has reported 20x15x21mm size tissue in the left perintal lobe. Repeat MRI after one month has shown considerable reduction in EDEMA and about 10% reduction in tissue/clot.She is feeling flash of light and black bubbles like picture in the left eye twice or thrice in a day. Opthalmogist examined her retina and found that retina is alright. My question is a) whether this eye problem is also related to CNS TUBERCULOMA. Please also guide about treatment of this eye problem.

Answer:

Wow, this is a very difficult question. Even if I examined her, I don't know whether or not I would be able to completely answer your question.

But since her retinas are healthy (as determined by her ophthalmologist), I suspect there may be some swelling along the visual pathway that connects her eyes with the part of her brain that processes visual information. Sight does not actually occur in the eyes, but rather in the brain. So her symptoms of "light flashes" and "black bubbles"  - especially since they are transient and not constant - lead me to believe that her brain lesion is affecting her visual perception. And the fact that her lesion is getting smaller with treatment is a good sign that her visual symptoms should eventually resolve.

Keep following your doctor's advice, and report any changes in vision to him.  

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry