Mouth Diseases

Sensation of Food Being Stuck

12/10/2010

Question:

My Mom who is 87 years old has been complaining of the sensation that she has food stuck in her mouth. She does not have teeth, and has not worn her dentures for years. The sensation occurs on the right side of her face, and is located in the lower gum area between her cheek and her gum. It is affecting the quality of her life, and she has seen a dentist, and primary care doc. The closest I have found on your site is burning mouth syndrome, but the symptoms are not the same. She did suffer from a stroke when she was 75 years old that affected the right side of her face and hand, and affectd her speech. Please help. She is constantly taking a tooth brush to try to get "it" out. She is now dealing with the problem of stringy saliva, and I do not know if the two are related. It has been going on for over a year.

Answer:

Even with the history of stroke, what you are describing would be consistent with burning mouth syndrome. In the case of your mother, the predominant component seems to be textural with a feeling of "fullness" or a "thing" between the lower gum and the cheek as well as a "stringy" sensation with her saliva. 

As many patients with burning mouth syndrome also have dry mouths, make sure your mom keeps a ready source of cold liquids around (ice water in a water bottle is good) or ice chips to help soothe these sensations. Additional information regarding the frustrating, but thankfully not serious or life-threatening condition will be attached to this reply. 

Good luck! 

Burning Mouth Syndrome
Burning Mouth Syndrome (AAOMP)
Burning Mouth Syndrome (AAOMP)

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology