Infectious Diseases

Hepatitis C

01/07/2011

Question:

My girlfriend is a RN at a local emrgency center she called me and told me while drawing labs from a patient who had Hepatitis c she dropped the needle it hit the ground on the plunger of the syringe and blood sprayed in to her eye and she said a small amount got in her mouth she was wearing contacts she of course flipped out and washed her eyes and face the Head Doctor told her not to be to worried that the risk of getting this from eye exposure was very small. We are both really stressed about this now just trying to get second opinions on what we should do and about our sex life should we use a condom now im I at risk myself should she be really worried please help?

Answer:

Your girlfriend's employer has a duty to her under the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard.  It would be best in this circumstance to pursue any questions and concerns you may have with her employer.

Go to the Infectious Diseases health topic, where you can:

Lisa A Haglund, MD Lisa A Haglund, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine