Women's Health

Irregular Periods and Infertility

01/13/2011

Question:

I am 25 yrs old. I have been dating my husband for approx. 3 yrs. I have not been dating no one since him and neither has he. Iince i was 10 yrs of age I started my period with it being regular not for sure how many days per cylce. I was then diagnosed with diabetes type II since the age 18. Since then my periods were irregular, with only showing up when it wanted to. Out of a whole yrs time I would only have 4-5 periods the whole time with no pills for this but prednisone 5 mgs which made me gain weight, then metformin 500mgs. Half the time it would not show up at all or just spot then go away. I noticed that I would be stressed out with a lot of things and what ever else was going on. I have been sexually active for a long time and has been trying to get pregnant for about numerous of yrs but with my husband 2 yrs. I want to try and get pregnant without meds or any other way. Right now I weight 190, 5`1. I need a diet that I can be able to keep up with and use that dont taste nasty when you eat it. Since Nov 13 10 I started my period back from about 5-8 yrs of not have a period, not being stressed out stayed on until the 17th. Come Dec I had sex with my husband the 11-12 come the 13th it didn`t show up and know its the 16th of Dec. I have not had no symptoms or not taken a test but just waiting to see if it will come on then within a couple of days. Have not made an apt to see the doctor which I only wanted to make one until I couldn`t progress, but I want to see if i can get pregnant on my own, and I have a cousin that went through the same thing and had two kids, but every dx and person is different. What can I do? Thanks. If you can help me out it would help instead of me having to use drugs, etc.

Answer:

It is difficult to become pregnant if you are not ovulating (releasing eggs) every month. Light or absent periods mean that you are probably not ovulating. Some women with type II diabetes have high insulin levels (called insulin resistance) and this interferes with ovulation. In these women, losing weight will increase the chance of ovulating again every month. Metformin also increases the chance of ovulating in these women, but most have to take 1,000 to 1,500 mg per day. The easiest way to increase ovulation is to take a medication called clomiphene citrate. Unfortunately, it increases the chances of having multiple pregnancies, primarily twins. It is important to discuss all of these possibilities with a fertility specialist.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology