Pulmonary Fibrosis

Is it Hereditary?

12/22/2010

Question:

My aunt and uncle both on my mothers side suffered with Pulmonary fibrosis of the lungs. They died within 3 years of each other. My aunt was very quick onset one minute she was in a marathon and 2 weeks later she was on Oxygen. My uncle had it and his was very slow onset and was on oxygen and died within 6 months of being on oxygen. Is it hereditary?

Answer:

Familial pulmonary fibrosis can occur as a result of genetic (inherited) mechanisms. Familial pulmonary fibrosis can also occur from a family's exposure to common environmental agents, like asbestos. It may not occur in every generation and can skip a generation. Close relatives should be screened after the age of 50, even if there are no symptoms. This screening might include a simple physical examination for "crackles" on lung examination, pulmonary function testing, or x-rays.

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

Ruthann   Kennedy, CNP Ruthann Kennedy, CNP
Clinical Practice Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine