Women's Health

Endometrial Polyps

01/18/2011

Question:

I am 47 (no kids) and have recently been diagnosed with 2 polyps in my uterus. I also have a few fibroids. My periods have been very difficult for a number of years, not only with heavy and irregular bleeding but also with increasingly difficult PMS (such that it is interfering in my relationship). I am wondering if these can add or exacerbate my PMS? My doctor also mentioned doing an Endometrial Ablation at the same time my polyps are removed. I am on the fence about it, but am desperate to alleviate my PMS! Would it help?

Answer:

PMS, or premenstrual syndrome, is a group of symptoms that typically become worse in the week or two leading up to a woman's menstrual period and then subside during the period.  These symptoms can be predominantly mood-related, with depression, irritability and anxiety, in which case it is called premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).

The exact cause of PMS/PMDD is poorly understood, but is thought to be a complex interaction between the hormones that trigger the menstrual period and a chemical in the brain called serotonin.  Treatments are usually directed towards suppressing the periods with hormonal medication or improving the serotonin balance with medications like fluoxetine (Prozac).  Issues that affect the uterus like polyps and fibroids have nothing to do with the onset or treatment of PMS/PMDD.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology