Seeming Allergic to Benzocaine

12/22/2010

Question:

I`m gluten intolerant for one. The last time I had a crown, the gum around the tooth became ulcerated - in a perfect circle. I need more crowns and I`m scared with regard to the painful reaction before...

I BINGed BENZOCAINE… Are there other drugs that have less side effects???????????????

What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?

Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible: •allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue

Answer:

I have not done surgical dentistry in many, many years having specialized in anesthesiology. That being said, it is common after crown preparation to have an ulcerated and red area in a ring around the crown depending on how the dentist prepared the tooth for the crown. This should heal in a few days. I do not think this is a side effect of benzocaine. However, you should contact your dentist if you are having such significant discomfort that you need regular benzocaine to treat it. That is likely not a great strategy for post-op pain in this circumstance. The dentist may be able use other methods to manage the gum around the crown so you do not have these problems. Good luck.