Lung diseases

Shortness of Breath

01/20/2011

Question:

my mother has been diognosed with post tb copd for the last three years. BY this time she has lost tremendous weight and now she is just like a skeleton .at present she has complained about severe shortness of breath which she feels even the oxygen level is normal .doctor has advised her to be on 2 litre oxygen every hour for at least 15 minutes.but my question is if the oxygen level is normal than why does she feel shortness of breath and even oxygen supplement does not relieve her.

Answer:

Lack of oxygen is only one of the reasons for shortness of breath. She could be having increased lung volumes and trapped air in her lungs making her short of breath. She could also be deconditioned, in which case minimal physical activity makes her short of breath. She should be seen by a pulmonary specialist to discuss her case and symptoms.

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep

Phillip T Diaz, MD Phillip T Diaz, MD
Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine