Pharmacy and Medications

Sclerosis and Osteoarthritis combined

03/10/2011

Question:

There are many drugs on the market still with moderate to "severe" side effects which the manufacturer "MUST" list. In using these drugs "ONE MUST" weigh the risks when using them. SO WHY WAS THE DRUG "DARVOCET" REMOVED WHEN IT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR MORE THAN 50 YEARS? My mother has these conditions and nothing can control the pain as did DARVOCET. Why not let the elderly whose pain levels generally tend to be extreme in some cases make the concious decision to use the drug and if need be sign a waiver with their doctor if the situation so calls. Sort of like "A RIGHT TO DIE" thing. In no way do I say this disrespectfully but people in this situation are on their last hurah (so to speak) and deserve their wishes to be respected. Should we not put the same emphasis on people whose pain level exceeds the normal range?

Answer:

Please see the following link regarding Propoxyphene (Darvon, Darvocet) being pulled from the market.

The FDA notified healthcare professionals that Xanodyne Pharmaceuticals has agreed to withdraw propoxyphene, an opioid pain reliever used to treat mild to moderate pain, from the U.S. market at the request of the FDA, due to new data showing that the drug can cause serious toxicity to the heart, even when used at therapeutic doses. FDA concluded that the safety risks of propoxyphene outweigh its benefits for pain relief at recommended doses. FDA requested that the generic manufacturers of propoxyphene-containing products remove their products as well.

FDA Press Release

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

David Baker, PharmD, DABAT
Formerly, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pharmacy