Mouth Diseases

The Taste of the Tongue is Gone

01/13/2011

Question:

sir ,namasty sir,since 15 days I am not Felling any taste i.e nor salty,nither sweet...and now a days i am having a salty mouth even when there is nothing in the mouth...so sir,kindly prescribe me with some cure for this problem because i am facing very much trouble

Answer:

Since this has been going on for 15 plus days, have you sought the advice and/or help from your primary care provider or dentist?

There are a number of possible explanations and equally a number of causes that may relate to your complaints:

1. Have you had a head cold, sinus infection or the flu recently?

2. Have you experienced recent trauma to the face, head or mouth?

3. Are you currently on any medications - either prescribed by your doctor or over-the-counter?

4. Do you smoke?

5. Do you consume alcohol?

6. Do you use a mouthwash? Or have you recently changed your toothpaste or mouthwash?

7. Do you eat hot/spicy foods?

8. Do you have dry mouth?

9. Do you have gastrointestinal problems?

As you can see, there can be a number of causes for altered and/or loss of taste. If this condition continues I would seriously advise you to have this evaluated, as far more serious problems could be present, and affecting your ability to taste and changing your perception to specific taste stimuli.  

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine