Pharmacy and Medications

Drug Effect and Diuretic

01/13/2011

Question:

Hi experts, I wonder if the effect of medicine can be reduced by the use of diuretic medicine. From what my friends and I experience, we notice that we feel relieved from alcohol intoxication if we pee. The quicker and more frequently we pee, the longer we can stand the intoxication. from this, are there any medicines whose effect is reduced quickly from the body by diuretics medicines?

Answer:

Alcohol actually acts as a diuretic in your body, enhancing water excretion. While diuretics may impact the body’s ability to eliminate medications, their main effect is to increase excretion of water. By taking alcohol while taking a diuretic, you are increasing your risk of becoming dehydrated while drinking. This can lead to electrolyte abnormalities, vitamin depletion, and the potential for heart arrhythmias. It will probably increase your chances of having a hangover, too. 

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Michael  Ganio, PharmD Michael Ganio, PharmD
Clinical Applications Pharmacist
Wexner Medical Center