Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Any Reports of Allergies to Colgate Sensitive

01/13/2011

Question:

Last night when I brushed my teeth within a couple of minutes I had a strange feeling come over me. My lining of my mouth felt like tiny needles were poking it.The back of my throat felt strange and I had difficulty swallowing my saliva. The palms of my hands felt the same way. My heart began to pound so hard and fast I could hear it in my ears. I felt I was having some tightness in my chest and could hardly talk. I quickly laid down and after about 4 minutes the symptoms subsided except for my lips felt tingly, slight difficulty swallowing, and I could hardly talk, my voice was affected. I threw the toothpaste away. I haven`t found any complaints about the toothpaste on the web this morning. This morning only my throat feels a little strange, like it is tight and a little difficult to swallow saliva. Thank You.

Answer:

Below are the ingredients in Total Sensitive:

Active Ingredients: Potassium Nitrate 5% (FDA requiried amount) (Antisensitivity), Sodium Flouride (0.14% w/f fluoride ion) (Anticavity)

Inactive Ingredients: Sorbitol, Hydrated Silica, Water, Glycerin, PEG 600, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Flavor, Poloxamer 407, Titanium Dioxide, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium CMC, Sodium Saccharin, FD&C Blue 1

I am not aware of any reports of allergies.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Michele P Carr, RDH,  MA Michele P Carr, RDH, MA
Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene
Associate Professor of HS Nursing Quality & Research