Children's Health

Constant Runny Nose

02/01/2011

Question:

My grand son is now 2 1/2 years old. A birth he had a condtion called : fourth cranial muscle distrophy- his head was leaning on the left. The had eye surgery in oct 2010 and his head seems to be straighter. He also has only one kidney which at birth was not functionning properly(the ureter leading from the kidney to the bladder was larger than normal and twisted).He has been on antibiotic for 2 years to avoid infection. He had surgery for that in May 2010 which was successful. He also has low muscle tone. My inquiry is about his nose that runs constantly....consequently he refuses to eat as he feels clogged all the time.. Is there a relationship with theses above issues and his nose?. He will be 3yrs old in April. Thank you

Answer:

It sounds as though your grandson has had an eventful first two years of life. That said, there may be an association with feeding and at least the hypotonia he exhibits. Is he in physical, occupational, and/or speech therapies? I ask because very often feeding issues are related to low muscle tone and hypotonia and frequent surgeries in infancy can be associated with some developmental delays or delays in meeting developmental milestones.

It is also not uncommon, especially in the winter months, for a toddler to have frequent, if not back-to-back, colds through the winter months.

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Sarah Sauntry, RN, MS, CPNP-PC
Assistant Professor of Clinical Nursing