Sarcoidosis

Skin Sarcoidosis

02/10/2011

Question:

Is there any treatment for skin leasions caused by sarcoidosis. I have them on my face, arm, back, and butt. Smallest are the size of a half doller and the ones on my back are much bigger

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam- Sarcoidosis commonly involves the skin. The skin manifestations range from very small, localized spots to large areas which are very noticeable and bothersome. The latter is referred to as "lupus pernio" by many dermatologists and this type of sarcoidosis more often involves other tissues (e.g., lungs, eyes) as well. 

The treatment of these more obvious skin lesions includes local therapies, such as injection of the lesions with long-acting steroids, and systemic therapies. Lupus pernio and associated involvement of other organs tends require long-term therapy and at higher doses. Thus, some combination of treatments with different side-effects (e.g., steroid pills + methotrexate pills) is usually preferred. Some cases of lupus pernio do not respond well to these oral therapies, and injectable (intravenous or under the skin) treatments (e.g., infliximab, also called Remicade) may be required. Given the complexities relating to the optimal treatment of lupus pernio, it is often best to coordinate treatment with an expert familiar with sarcoidosis management and dermatology.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine