Lung diseases

Decreased Percentage of Lungs

my husband (64) has enphyzema due to smoking and inhaling spray painting cars over a long period of time. he was informed today that his lung capasity has dropped with 13% (to only 64%) since he last was seen by the specialist which was 4 months ago. he is using a nebulizer twice a day at this point. at what pecentage will he become critical and will have to rely on oxygen.

I generally recommend that one not make any conclusions from a single lung capacity test. It is best to use information over a few years of observation before making any conclusions about how fast one is losing lung capacity. Furthermore, there are variations in measurement that are reversible as well (such as a recent cold, etc.) and that can inappropriately suggest rapid changes that are not permanent. This is something you might best discuss with your specialist as well. 

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Mark D Wewers, MD Mark D Wewers, MD
Professor of Pulmonology, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep
Molecular Virology, Immunology & Medical Genetics
Environmental Health Sciences