Tuberculosis

Regarding Tuberculosis Treatment

03/04/2011

Question:

My x-ray report reveals lymph node infiltiration with nodule formation in chest, with loss of weight, loss of appitite but not any other symptoms of TB . WHAT DOES IT MEAN? My doctor started TB drugs but I have completed only 5 months of treatment. Is it any chances for reoccurence of infection to me?

Answer:

Tuberculosis can infect lymph nodes in the chest. Based on the information you provide and the fact that I cannot give a second opinion I do not know if you have tuberculosis of your lymph nodes. IN terms of general information about TB of the lymph nodes in the chest I can tell you the following: This form of tuberculosis is quite common in children. It is often due to recent exposure to tuberculosis. Perhaps exposure 3-6 months prior to the lymph node swelling. If tuberculosis of the lymph node is suspected the standard treatment is with 6 months of antituberulosis treatment. The success rate of this treatment is quite high if you have tuberculosis. We would expect perhaps 2-3 % relapse rate with this treatment.

Go to the Tuberculosis health topic, where you can:

Catherine A Curley, MD, MS Catherine A Curley, MD, MS
Assistant Professor of Medicine