Lung diseases

Pneumonia Along with Other Health Problems

02/17/2011

Question:

my question is this my father is a 49 yr old man with pneumonia now for two weeks. He has CAD and Emphysema and had esphogial cancer at one point that he beat, but my question is what are the likely chances of recovery becuase the medications they gave him for this didnt help him at all and im worried because there is so many things wrong with him that i am worried for him give me any answer you can to this please and thank you very much for your time.

Answer:

Most episodes of pneumonia are caused by bacteria or viral infections and symptoms should be improving in 2 weeks. The x-ray can take much longer (even up to 6 weeks) to improve. If he is still having symptoms, then he should go see his doctor. Sometimes additional tests are needed to determine what is going on, and this can only be determined by the physician taking care of your father.

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Karen L Wood, MD Karen L Wood, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine