Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Extract or repair

05/27/2011

Question:

I am 68 yrs old, in good health and have every tooth aside from my wisdom teeth. I am looking at a $2150 root canal and crown repair on that tooth because it is cracked and on biting, very painful. Should I Pony up that large amt of money and have the repair done? How important is that upper rear molar to my well being and the integrity of my jaw?

Answer:

Which tooth needs the root canal? If is the last molar you will be ok if just extracted. Usually when a tooth is cracked and is very painful on biting is because there is a fracture on it, and if is a deep fracture the tooth need to be removed. Your chewing capability will decrease 5% aprox. If is the first molar will be better to try to saved, or if need to be removed you will need to replace it with an implant or a fixed bridge. If not you will have a bite problems in the future.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine