Eye and Vision Care

Lower Left Eye Quadrant, Hydrocephalus

02/22/2011

Question:

Can you clarify this please? I have problems with the lower left eye quadrant with regard to a field vision test. I am being monitored for glaucoma by my ophthamologist. I also have hydrocephalus since birth and am now 52. I was told that my quadrant issues are related to my hydrocephalus. I have a shunt in place working fine. I have problems seeing in a straight line I think. I play pool and have trouble judging how to aim for a shot. Would this have anything to do with my lower left quadrant problems? I believe this relates to the heading not being able to see straight. Please clarify if you can on my situation.

Answer:

The visual field defect in the lower left quadrant of your visual field may be a role with your current difficulty in aligning a shot but it is unlikely. This is because you are most likely fixating between the cue ball and your target, and your central vision would be responsible for that. You may however be missing a portion of the playing surface on your left side, but that should not be affecting the alignment of a shot.

However, it is probably more likely a binocular vision problem in which your eyes do not align properly and may create a situation in which you notice some double vision or have problems aligning targets. It may also be a problem with your glasses. Both the eye alignment and spectacle measurements are easy to perform.

I would recommend seeing an eye care professional to make sure that your eyes are aligning appropriately and that your glasses are set for the appropriate focal distances.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Aaron  Zimmerman, OD, MS Aaron Zimmerman, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry