Sports Medicine

Numb Spot on Back of One Hand

02/22/2011

Question:

I recently developed a numb spot on the back of my right hand between the pinky and ring finger knuckles extending up the back of the hand about one inch. This obviously resulted from a sharp pain associated with stretching my hand in such a way that this area of the hand is furthest from the shoulder. This happened repetitively not just in a single event. I assumed it was pain related to carpal tunnel syndrome, but it has resulted in an area that remains numb permanently over the last few days. I assume it`s some kind of nerve damage? What can I do about it?

Answer:

Your symptoms do not appear to be related to sports participation or sports injury.

FYI, carpal tunnel syndrome does not cause numbness on just the back of the hand.

Appropriate recommendations RE: what can be done for your symptoms need to be based on an accurate diagnosis, which requires a medical history and physical examination (for which you'd need to consult with your physician) and if any uncertainty remains, possibly diagnostic studies (in your case, possibly electrodiagnostic studies, specifically, EMG/NCS - which stands for "electromyography" and "nerve conduction studies").

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Clinical Associate Professor
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation