Children's Health

Hair Loss in My Toddler

03/22/2011

Question:

my daughter is nearly 2 and i have noticed her hair has thinned out loads on the sides and top of her head its very noticable and has been goin on for about 4 months i cant even put a clip in and she had loads of her a few months ago.

Answer:

I know that this must be very distressing. I hope that the two previous responses (see links below) will prove helpful. Be sure to also look closely at her hair and make sure there is no evidence of head lice such as small brown insects darting about or tiny, white specks on her hair that might indicate lice eggs. If you find them, you could go ahead and treat her with an over the counter head lice product or take her to her doctor for examination and product recommendation.

If you observe any round patches of scaly, red rash or soft, raised dark pink to red areas on her scalp, this may be ringworm of the scalp. She would need to be examined by her doctor and a prescription or two given to treat the problem. Both head lice and ringworm of the scalp can cause hair loss, although not typically in a diffuse, large scale such as you describe.

If she is a hair twiddler and twister, she may be causing the hair loss mechanically. Two year olds commonly do this. The best thing to do is to give her something else to twist or stroke (for example a soft doll with long string hair) when she is tired or needing a break. Praise her for warmly but not excessively for using the new object. Don't even mention hair unless her hand automatically moves exactly where you don't want it.

As always, a check up with her doctor is a good option if the problem continues or you just want a professional, eyes-on opinion. I hope this information proves helpful.

Hair Loss for My 2-Year-Old Toddler
Hairloss in a Toddler?

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN
Professor of Clinical Nursing