NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Healthy Weight Center
How to Gain Weight
am currently taking medication for tb. The doctor has given be fortisip shakes since i need to put on weight. However these drinks give me mucus. Is there any shakes I can take that will not give me mucus but will help me put on weight
Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear you have been losing weight due to TB. There are several other options to try for weight gain (beyond high calorie shakes). Here are some tips:
1. Replace water with 100% fruit juice. This will add 140-150 calories per 8 oz cup of juice.
2. Snack on nuts and dried fruit. Both are high in calories, but good for your health.
3. Add 1 Tbsp. dry powdered milk to 1 cup (8 oz) milk. This will boost the calories and protein content of your milk.
4. Snack on pudding or ice cream to add calories and fat to your diet.
5. Add cheese to sandwiches and salads. You can also sprinkle cheese on pasta or soup to add more calories and protein.
If none of these work, you may want to try Slim Fast as a supplement, not meal replacement, or Carnation Instant Breakfast. Boost and Ensure are also high calorie liquid supplements to try as well.
Best of luck!
Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, MEd, RD, LD
University of Cincinnati