Mouth Diseases

Sweet Taste in Mouth, Dry Mouth, Burning Tong

03/01/2011

Question:

I recently had a complete hysterectomy due to Endrometrial cancer. For several weeks prior, my tongue was constantly dry even though I have been pushing liquids. I also have diabetes, and was pushing H2O to help releave both edema and the dry sensation in my mouth. My tongue has been sticking to the roof of my mouth and if fact feels burned like I had consumed too hot liquid. I have not. I am also now on several antibiotics because my incision has become infected. to add to t his lovely mix I feel like I am getting a yeast infection. What is happening?

Answer:

There are a number of possible causes for what you are experiencing. I presume that the dry mouth/tongue was prior to your surgery? The cause could be related to your diabetes and how well you are controlled. Are you on insulin or oral meds for the DM? Are you a mouth breather? Are you on any other medications such as meds for hypertension or cardiac meds? Has anyone evaluated you for dry mouth (dentist or primary care provider?)? Did the burning sensation develop before or after surgery? Sometimes during general anesthesia and intubation the tongue can be traumatized and the burning sensation can occur. Another possible cause of the burning sensation is an oral yeast infection secondary to the dry mouth.

Saliva has multiple protective properties, not just providing lubrication but it has antimicrobial functions as well. Dry mouth (xerostomia) can be directly related to yeast infections of the oral cavity.

Diabetes can be related to dry mouth and also subsequent oral fungal and bacterial infection susceptibility.

So in all likelihood, you are developing a yeast infection.

I would strongly recommend that you have this evaluated by your dentist and also mention the problems with your oncologist or OB/GYN doctor. Your problem is somewhat complex but not out of the ordinary for post op complications and dealing with DM.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine