Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Shooting Pain During and After Blood Draw

03/01/2011

Question:

I had bloodwork done at a third party lab last week. During the draw from my left arm inside the elbow, I yelled because I had a pain that felt like an electric shock in my wrist. I was not tense during the draw, and the tech seemed shocked and had no idea what happened. I went on my way. The next day, I realized that when I stratch my arm or do certain tasks, there is a shooting pain just like the other, but it goes straight down the middle of my forearm almost to my wrist. This happened four days ago and I am left-handed. It really hurts, and I don`t know what to do or who to go see.

Thank you.

Answer:

While it is not possible to make a specific diagnosis over a forum such as this, what you describe may be from the injury of a small nerve that occurred during the blood draw. If that is what it is, it should get better over time. If not, or if the pain gets worse, I would encourage you to see your local physician to be evaluated.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine