COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Lowering the Stages of COPD

03/15/2011

Question:

Today I was told I have severe COPD.I had moderate COPD just 6 months ago.I am 52 years old and I just quit smoking.  Within a couple of weeks I will begin pulmonary rehab. If I exercise and walk more, could my COPD go back to mild or even moderate?  Or is this basically a death sentence. I use oxygen at night with my CPAP due to sleep apnea but don`t really need it during the day unless I know I will be walking a a lot. My Mom is 86 and I can`t leave her yet as she is my world!! I also have 9 cats and a husband to take care of. Please let me know soon. Thank you!

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness and for your question.  In addition to the information provided below on stages of COPD, you bring up a question about reversing stages of COPD.  While there is no way to regain lung function once it is lost, there are several therapies that can improve your lifestyle and long-term outlook. One is pulmonary rehab as you mentioned and continuing in a long-term exercise program after graduating from pulmonary rehab would be beneficial.  The other possible way to improve stages is through lung volume reduction surgery. 

The best way, though, to improve your health is to quit smoking and stick with that. 

Good luck.  

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Michael E Ezzie, MD Michael E Ezzie, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep