Lung Cancer

Could it be Cancer

03/18/2011

Question:

I`m 30 year old male live in southwest Virginia. No family history of cancer. I have never smoked and do not drink or use any drugs. I have always been healthy. 4 years ago I had stomach pains and my doctor ordered a ct scan. the scan showed A small calcified granuloma in the right lower lobe of my lung, Several tiny punctuate calcifications in my spleen, and tiny punctuate calcifications in the femoral head along with a small bone Island present. My doctor said all of those findings are benign and to not worry about them. I was diagnosed with IBS. I know it has been 4 years since this happen but I still have a thought in the back of my head that I could have cancer. So being that I had those findings in that many areas of my body is that normal and are those benign finding or should I have another CT Scan and check to see if anything has changed or since it has been so many years should I not worry about it and move on with life. I have two kids and a wonderful wife but I get stressed out thinking that I might have something going on inside of me even though my doctor along with another one said I`m fine and to not worry about it. Thank you for your time and I hope your answer will help me. God Bless You

Answer:

Calcified lesions are in most cases benign. Given that you have calcified lesions in the spleen as well and you are only 30, this most likely is a old histoplasmosis infection, which is completely benign. And that is the reason why your physician told you not to worry. As a thirty year old you are very young and since you are a non smoker your risk for lung cancer is close to zero. I understand the anxiety that you are going through. However, I think it is reasonable to discuss with your physician to repeat a CT scan of chest to make sure there is no progression (which most likely is the case) in the past four years so you can stop thinking about these benign lesions.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Shaheen  Islam, MD, MPH Shaheen Islam, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep
Hematology