Pharmacy and Medications

Lisinopril and Diuretic Together

03/10/2011

Question:

I`m on lisiniprol 5mg and pressure upon wakening was 158/80. should I add an OTC diuretic- I`m allergic to Sulfa drugs?

Answer:

Any changes in medication therapy should be avoided based on any one blood pressure reading. If this value is a consistent indication of your current blood pressure then a change in pharmacologic therapy may be indicated.

While adding a diuretic may be an option for you, OTC diuretics are not widely available and are not indicated for the reduction of blood pressure. The use of prescription strength diuretics tend to be much more potent than OTC diuretics. They reliably increase excretion of both fluid and salt from the body and are generally well tolerated.

Patients with a history of an allergy to sulfa drugs tend to be allergic to the two main classes of diuretics, the thiazide (chlorothiazide, chlorthalidone, and hydrochlorothiazide) and loop (Bumetanide, furosemide, and torsemide) diuretics. These drugs must be used with caution in any patient with a documented sulfa allergy.

Depending on your other current health conditions, the addition of a diuretic may not be the best choice for you. Other options would be; raising the dose of your lisinopril or adding another prescription medication for blood pressure, such as a beta-blocker or a calcium- channel blocker. Any changes in pharmacologic therapy relating to the treatment of your high blood pressure should be discussed with your primary care provider before proceeding.

Charles Skluzacek, PharmD Candidate 

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

David Baker, PharmD, DABAT
Formerly, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pharmacy