Eye and Vision Care

Black Spots in Both Eyes

03/15/2011

Question:

I recently had an eyelash removed from my left eye and used prescription eye salve for a few days, during that period I noticed an uneven, light black area in the corner of the white area closest to the nose in the left eye, a few days later it also appeared in my right eye, it dose not itch,burn,or appear in my field of vision, what could this be ?

Answer:

There are a variety of reasons why the conjunctiva (the white part of the eye) could become discolored, including certain systemic conditions or hormonal changes. Some oral and topical medications could cause pigment variation. Exposure to various industrial or chemical agents could also lead to discoloration.

I advise scheduling an appointment with your eye care provider for proper evaluation to determine the specific reason why you may be experiencing these changes with regards to your eyes. Thank you for visiting NetWellness!

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry