Allergies

Cat Scan dye/pepper Allergies

04/06/2011

Question:

years ago i had an alergic reaction to cat scan dye after an auto accident, since then ive found myelf to be allergic to all types of peppers, from blacvk pepper to just holding a pepper in my hand causes a reaction. Is this a common combination? What treatments if any are available besides benadryl after the fact? many times i have reactions from eating out and if i ask about peppers used in the food and have often been served food with peppers anyway

Answer:

There is no relationship between IV contrast dye reactions and reactions to peppers.  I would see an allergist to determine if the reactions you are experiencing are IgE mediated (immediate), delayed type or irritant.  For now the treatment of choice is avoidance.  However, an allergy consultation should clarify any issues pertaining to these reactions.

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Jonathan   Bernstein, MD Jonathan Bernstein, MD