Headaches, Tooth & Ear Pain after Root Canal

04/01/2011

Question:

I had a root canal on tooth #13 almost a year ago and it seemed to be ok. I am having headaches on the left side and ear pain and went to the ENT and he ordered an MRI of my brain and everything is fine and he told me that it was a TMJ or tooth problem. I went to the dentist yesterday and he did an X-ray on that same tooth and told me that there was a piece of the root that was still in there but not swollen or looked like an infection. He gave me antibiotics and pain med and sent me home. The tooth is sensitive to air sometimes but not all the time and the headaches can be anytime of the day. Do I need to get an additional root canal on this tooth or is this going to get better?

Thanks for your help. I have been through heck trying to figure out all this pain. 

Answer:

I would recommend an evaluation by an endodontist. Previously root canal treated teeth should not be sensitive to air but another tooth in the area may be. You may also be having pain relating to other areas in the head and neck (muscles, headaches).  

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics