Mental Health

Mental Health

04/01/2011

Question:

i am a 20 year old male and very confused about my mental state of mind.i never have anything on my mind anymore and im always feeling dizzy and lightheaded.i have very odd thinking sometimes like about homosexual things which is very odd and really making me mad because im pretty sure im not that way.i also think that the tv sends me subliminal messages about what i need to do to help myself or mocking me. through commercials or shows im very irritable and cant seem to control emotions like for instance i have uncontrollable laughter at times of awkward silence with a friend or somethun. and cant express emotions like i should be able too. i sometimes see things for a split second that arent really there in my peripherals and i feel fatigued all the time.i cant even hold on too a job anymore because of my paranoia and my awkwardness feeling all the time even around my friends who i have known for years.when im hanging around my friends i sometimes cant catch my breath very well like im having a panic attack im guessing. im pretty much like a zombie just passing through life.i stay up really late when i have something important the next day like an oaklawn meeting in the morning because i want time to go as slow as possible and when i go to class i sit there feeling the most uncomfortable ever very edgy constantly moving while my brain seems more inactive when im around like ten or more people.i sometimes hear things that i cant explain like noises. i feel like im in my own reality or somethun.it feels like im not asleep or awake like in between or something with no logical thinking. i tend to isolate myself in my room just watching tv or playing xbox because for some reason i feel terrified when im around friends now and feel like my friends hangout with me because they feel sorry for me or somethun.i dont have any urge to have sex with females anymore which is very odd because i wasnt like that years ago. i feel like im just existing with no purpose or drive to do anything anymore and i want help.its been going on for too long now about 17 months and i have good days and bad days but for these last couple months it has just been getting worse.i have been feeling suicidal almost every day but i never act on it. do u think im schizophrenic, bipolar, depressed, what? could certain drugs trigger these symptoms?thanks im eager to hear the feedback

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness.  I'm so sorry to hear of your current status and thoughts of suicide. I think you likely have some significant mental concerns and that you need to see a mental health professional for a complete evaluation!  I can't diagnose depression, anxiety or another serious mental illness over the internet, but I strongly encourage you to seek help soon.

Thoughts of suicide are often a sign of extreme distress but also something that can be treated.  If you continue to have these thoughts, I would strongly encourage you to do one or more of the following as soon as possible:

1. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 (website: http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/help/default.aspx), which is free, confidential and staffed by trained counselors who are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

2. Call or go to your local hospital emergency room.

3. If you are in treatment, call your mental health professional.

Treatment for your condition is available. It can reduce your overall level of distress and allow you to do better.

Thank you for your question and best of luck.

Our Answer Policy

Go to the Mental Health health topic, where you can:

Ram Chandran  Kalyanam, MD Ram Chandran Kalyanam, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry