Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Colon Cancer

Surgery for mestastasis in the liver



My uncle has had colon cancer for 6 years. His initial treatment included surgery and radiation. Recently it was discovered that he has a mestastasis in his liver. He needs to have surgery but he has a lot of scar tissue. Are there surgeons who specialize in dealing with this type of procedure or should any good surgeon be able to handle this type of procedure? If we need a specialist, what should we look for?


You need a specialist hepatobiliary surgeon with expertise and interest in cancer. They will be able to decide what treatment is needed and the best combination of resection or ablation. Dr. Chris Siegel at UHCMC would be my recommendation.

For more information:

Go to the Colon Cancer health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Conor P Delaney, MD, PhD Conor P Delaney, MD, PhD
Professor of Surgery
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University