Eye and Vision Care

lasik

04/07/2011

Question:

I had lasik surgery 7 yrs ago at age 45. The doctor told me that once I had the surgery and my distance vision was corrected, my vision would not change. This has not been the case. My distance vision in one eye has gotten steadily worse over the years. Did my doctor mislead me or is my situation common?

Answer:

LASIK and other refractive surgeries are designed to correct refractive error; that is, to accurately focus the eye for a given distance. However, there is much more to good vision than accurate refractive correction. Therefore you should continue to have comprehensive eye exams to rule out other causes for reduced vision such as cataracts or retinal disorders.

That being said, approximately 1 in 25 patients require a "fine tuning" after LASIK surgery. Please see the following NetWellness response to a similar question for further information. 

LASIK

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Andrew J Toole, OD, PhD, FAAO
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry