Pharmacy and Medications

Omega 3 with Vitamin D is same like Omega 3

04/07/2011

Question:

omega 3 with vitamin d is same like omega 3 2000 iu my doctor tell me to take omega 3 2000iu but i got in serup i like it can i take it

Answer:

Omega 3 fatty acids can be found in many foods including walnuts, certain fruits and vegetables, and several types of fish. The term omega 3 fatty acids do not refer to one single chemical. It actually represents several chemicals, including EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). In a supplement form, omega-3 fatty acids are typically available as fish oil. Not all forms of fish oil are the same. Different manufacturers may have different amounts of omega-3 fatty acids per dose, and may have different concentrations of EPA and DHA. The addition of vitamin D should not change the omega-3 chemicals. If you have any concerns, you should bring the syrup form of omega-3 with vitamin D to your doctor to make sure they find it acceptable.

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Michael  Ganio, PharmD Michael Ganio, PharmD
Clinical Applications Pharmacist
Wexner Medical Center