Sarcoidosis

Is MS Really Related to Sarcoidosis?

04/07/2011

Question:

My sister has MS and I had a biopsy between the lungs and heart and was told I had sarcoidosis. I also have a cousin on my mothers side with MS. Do I need to be worried that my daughter or granddaughter may come down with either diease?

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam - In approximately 1 out of every 20 cases of sarcoidosis another family member is affected. Thus, the risk of one of your relatives developing sarcoidosis is increased but remains unlikely. There is no good way to screen family members for sarcoidosis but it is worth keeping this in mind if your children or grandchildren develop unexplained symptoms, such as cough, chest pains, shortness of breath, skin rash and others. Your doctor would help with the evaluation if this happens. I do not claim to be an expert on MS and will leave this to others. 

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine