Sports Medicine

Knee Pain

04/11/2011

Question:

I have read about the patellofemoral pain and feel that I might have the same problem. But the only difference with me is that I get relieved when I sit down, I’m not in pain. My problem started with just walking out of the house with my knee being stiff. I hopped down the first step with no weight on the leg and felt a pop in my knee. For the first 5 hours I did not want to straighten my leg because it hurt so much. Now the lower portion of my patella, and almost to my ankle, has a numb feeling to it. Please help me get results!

Answer:

Although patellofemoral pain is often worsened by prolonged sitting - primarily when the knee is bent (flexed) as opposed to straight (extended) - this is not always the case.

If you are still having significant knee pain and/or limited function (for example, if you're having any difficulty with walking, stairs, squatting, etc.), consult with your physician to obtain a proper diagnosis, upon which an appropriate treatment plan can then be based.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Clinical Associate Professor
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation