Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Swollen Hamulus

04/20/2011

Question:

For about the last 7 years I have had an enlarged bump on the roof of my mouth. It is on the right side about 3/4 of the way back. It first appeared when I was in US Navy bootcamp back in 2004. I got a cold and the bump appeared. It has never gone down but now it is swollen even bigger than it has been and it hurts quite a bit, especially when I swallow. I was looking online and it looks like it is the hamulus. However, I couldn`t find anything about what to do about it. It has been swollen and painful for about 3 weeks now.

Answer:

From your description it does not sound like an infection in the area of the hamulus. It could be one of many possible problems. Go to your dentist and get a proper diagnosis. It could be an abscessed tooth or some other type of infection. Without examining you and possibly taking some radiographs, it is impossible to determine the cause of the swelling and the needed treatment. 

Good luck!

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry