Sarcoidosis

Cutaneous Sarcoid

04/11/2011

Question:

I have had all sorts of treatment on my face but nothing seems to work (even steroid injections directly on the skin plaques). I am going on holiday soon and am worried about exposure in the sun. What can I use on my face to help soothe? Is anit malaria drug the only treatment?

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam-

In some cases, the skin manifestations of sarcoidosis can be very difficult to treat. In particular, discolored, raised and irregularly shaped plaques, commonly referred to as "lupus pernio", are commonly (not always) resistant to usual therapies such as steroids, methotrexate or anti-malarial drugs (hydroxychloroquine). However, the anti-tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha drugs (e.g., Remicade) are often effective.

The decision to treat with strong medications, such as Remicade, have to be carefully weighed against the risks. You should consult your doctors about the best treatment options for you.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine