COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

nebivolol in respiratory disease

06/08/2011

Question:

I am a hypertensive Indian male 52 years I had astahmatic bout since 1978 when I was 22 years and from 1979 onwards, especially during winter time, I used to have asthamatic bout I also have dust, smoke, closed room allergy which when exposed get aggravated.

In 1989, I developed hypertension with tachycardia and put on Atenolol 50 gradually increased to Atenolol 100. However, after taking atenolol 100, I never had asthamatic bout except some episodes in 1994 and 2001 My dr told me that since I have seasonal variant, there is no harm in taking atenolol 100. As the age advanced, Amlodepine 10 mg and losartan 100 and Indapamide 1.5 SR added to the Atenolol 100.

Few days back, I had an episode of asthamatic bout and I consulted a chest physician who performed PFT which revealed MODERATE RESTRICTION MODERATE OBSTRUCTION INSIGNIFICANT REVERSIBILITY : While suggesting medicines for asthama, chest physician advised me to discontinue atenolol 100 and prescribed Nebivolol 10 mg. Is atenolol contraindicated in my conditions This is for genral guidance and awareness and do not intend for treatement

Answer:

No, atenolol is not contraindicated in asthma.  However, it is a beta-blocker, and this class of medication could contribute to more difficulty with asthma symptoms.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep