Children's Health

Strange Symptoms in a 10-Year-Old Girl

05/06/2011

Question:

I am asking this question for a friend`s daughter who is having many troubling symptoms and can`t seem to get any answers. About 1 month ago her feet started swelling and they tested her kidneys and they were fine. Then she developed a rash on her face and chest and her wrists began swelling. They sent her to a specialist and ran tests for lupus. The test intially came back postive for an autoimmune disease but now they are saying all tests are negative. She now has a spliting headache, chest pains, continued swelling in all extremities, and she says she feels like she can`t breathe. They rushed her to the ER and saw the specialist again but they just sent her home with no answers. I thought you all might have an idea where to start for more answers.

Answer:

Unfortunately, many conditions have similar presentations, and many conditions in their early stages do not fully present all of the symptoms which eventually lead to a firm diagnosis. This is frustrating to patients, families and health care providers. In this situation it appears that the family and their pediatric health care provider are diligently seeking care as new symptoms arise and again, while frustrating, this method should eventually lead to a diagnosis of the condition.  

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Sarah Sauntry, RN, MS, CPNP-PC
Assistant Professor of Clinical Nursing