Research Center

Medical Advancements and Vision Restoration

07/03/2007

Question:

I am seeking advice on this surgery that is now performed in the US, and it is extremely difficult it seems to find answers. Nobody knows something precise about this, although everybody has heard of it. I have a relative that has become almost completely blind after a car accident, and I am trying to help her. We found out about this surgery that it is done, through which there is a cip implanted in the eye and then through some glasses with a video camera incorporated the patient can see. The patients could even drive cars after the surgery. This procedure is new and we want to know if it can be done and how much cost is involved. Please respond if you can give me more information about this! Thank you!

Answer:

This procedure is in the very much experimental stages at this point. The technology won't be available for public consumption for at least another 10 years, maybe more. The only way to get involved in this research is to enroll in a study where the procedure is being done to test its feasibility as a vision rehabilitation correction method.

The National Institutes of Health funds eye studies that may be able to direct you further.

NIH/National Eye Institute clinical trials may be found at URL: http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/clinicalstudies/

Also, large research hospitals are usually doing research in pioneering areas of care. Places such as John's Hopkins Hospital, Cleveland Clinic/Cole Eye Institute, Mayo Clinic, Massachuttets Eye & Ear Hospital are a few that may be involved in such research. You would have to contact each of them individually to inquire about current research.

Go to the Research Center health topic, where you can:

Cynthia Gale Heard, OD Cynthia Gale Heard, OD
Formerly
Assistant Professor, Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry