Sports Medicine

Cuboid Bone Bruise

My son hurt his foot in February. I took him for an x-ray that showed nothing broken. We are now in May and he is having severe pain still in the back of his foot by the Achilles. Took him for a MRI which showed a Cuboid Bone Bruise and mild scattered hemopoietic red marrow. What does this mean and why is he still having severe pain?? What is done to correct this?

Depending on your son's age, "mild scattered hemopoietic red marrow" may or may not be an appropriate or expected finding in the foot; this should be discussed with your son's physician, considered in light of any blood tests your son may have undergone, and if necessary, possible referral to a hematologist.

A cuboid bone bruise could still cause some pain 3 months later, but since you've noted his pain is severe, his pain could be due to something else - for example, a condition called complex regional pain syndrome which is a diagnosis based on findings from his physical examination along with other diagnostic studies. 

Again, you are advised to discuss with your son's physician why his pain remains severe 3 months later and what can be done about it. If necessary, consultation with a sports medicine physician may be helpful.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Clinical Associate Professor
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation