Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Burnt Mouth

05/12/2011

Question:

I think I burnt my mouth with vodka by repeatdly rinsing it while waiting to get in to see dentist with an apsess tooth, He pulled it, I still have another apsess,but its in the bottom, the one he pulled is on top and i wear a partial plate, I have to leave it out, and all on my gums where the partial would fit is burning very bad, and looks like peeling a bit, with white places, I am presuming burnt, as was rinsing with the vodka with my plate out..I can`t even eat luke warm soup, or hardly anything for that matter, just melons , and its been three days now, I put my plate in to try and protect it, but only hurts more when I take it out after an hour....any suggestions to help this pain? Should I be trying to put my plate in?I m already on 600 mg ibruprophen every six hours and 2 mg morphene for pain of other tooth, when needed, plus taking Novo Pen 300mg every six hours, anything to sooth and help this would be appreciated...thankyou.

Answer:

I don't believe that the vodka is the problem. The burning sensation from alcohol is not a true burn but the singeing of the nerve endings. You mentioned that the tooth that was extracted was involved with your partial. It may be that the partial is now pushing on the roof of your mouth more than it was before when you had the tooth. That could be causing the problem. If you go to the grocery store, swishing with Maalox may help with the discomfort. 

Make sure you point this out to the dentist when you have the other tooth worked on. 

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor of Primary Care Dentistry