Children's Health

Doesn`t Like Milk!

06/13/2011

Question:

My daughter is 10 months old and she doesn`t like to drink milk from a bottle (or a sippy cup). The real problem started when she was 6 months and started solid food. I`ve supplementing since she was 6 weeks old. I breastfeed a few time a day, but my milk supply is very low (I pump 0.5 oz from each side). It seems she is ok with breastfeeding but she doesn`t like any formula or the bottle feeding. I offer her the bottle before her meals but she still refuses the bottle. She refuses the bottle even when I put pumped milk in it. She eats fine and I try to give her yogurt/cheese throughout the day to make up for the calcium. How do I encourage her to accept the bottle/formula? How do I make sure that she`s taking enough calcium?

Answer:

I would recommend just going to a cup and avoiding bottles altogether. I think your sweetie just loves the cuddling of breastfeeding and who can blame her? 

You may also find the answers to some previous similar questions helpful. The links below will connect you to that information. 

Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Our Answer Policy

Won't Take a Bottle
Working Mom
My Baby is Refusing to Accept Formula and Foods

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN
Professor of Clinical Nursing