Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Gum Tearing



I tore my gum on my lower front tooth awhile back. It never healed correctly and I have been making it worse with brushing. It has finally gotten so low that I can see the base of the tooth before the roots and the gum around it is sensitive as well. What are my options to fix it?


Your general dentist can refer you to a periodontist who could perform a grafting procedure to cover the exposed root structure and will also help with the sensitivity.

Related Resources:

Find a Periodontist

For more information:

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor of Primary Care Dentistry
College of Dentistry
The Ohio State University